Job Title: WASH Officer (2 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Arua /Rhinocamp and Kiryandongo, Uganda
Reports to: WASH Coordinator
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer’s primary function is to ensure quality day to day implementation of the WASH project at the Settlement level. The WASH Officer will be responsible for complying with donors and internal DRC reporting and accountability policy and procedures with the support of the WASH Coordinator/Program Manager. The incumbent will be responsible for complying with donor and internal DRC reporting and accountability policies and procedures.
1. General Duties:
- In charge of the sector (Manages field based staff, volunteers, community workers in the sector).
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Actively participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Carry out inspection of boreholes, shallow wells and water pumps and other water supply systems to ensure they are operational
- Conduct compliance inspection of new constructions which pertains to the settlements water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed standards, plans and specifications.
- Assist in major repairs and installation of new materials, supplies, machinery and/or equipment
- Carry out water testing and advice accordingly on quality.
- Work closely with the District Water Department and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Work in liaison with the government extension staff, specifically, the Health Assistants (HA s), Village Health Teams (VHTs), play a lead role in mapping out communities for village sanitation improvement, especially during the CLTS/PHAST/CHAST role out exercises.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Take lead of the Hygiene team in the midterm and annual surveys to understand the impacts of DRC programs with relation to behavior change and health based indicators.
2. Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH
- Represent DRC at WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors
- Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Adjumani and other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in a regular sector meeting.
3. Project Development:
- Work in liaison with the WASH coordinator, initiate development of project proposal documents in respect to WASH
- Work collaboratively with WASH coordinator initiate development of project concepts in respect to WASH
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop the project’s M&E tools
4. Project Implementation and Reporting:
- Ensure management of WASH project grants through budget control
- Ensure effective implementation of the WASH Project in line with the UN and National standards and policies
- Monitor and Evaluate the WASH Projects.
- Provide technical support to WASH Assistants and Hygiene Promoters to execute their duties effectively.
- Ensure quality control of implementation of WASH activities in accordance to Sphere, UNHCR and National standards.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities
5. Staff Management:
- Mentor and supervise the WASH Assistants.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community based mechanisms in Adjumani operational area as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Carry out daily field visits to support field staffs - mentoring - through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
6. Logistics /Finance
- Support the WASH Coordinator to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters.
- Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure the delivery of supplies
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the WASH Coordinator
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) WASH Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Environment Health Science, Water Engineering or WASH related course from recognized institution. Post Graduate Diploma in Project Planning and Management is an added advantage.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in implementing WASH project
- Familiarity with WASH national and international standards
- Strong competence in English literacy
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in war conflict areas
- Ability to build and establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed -The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be uploaded online, Click Here
Deadline: 29th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline