Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Organization: Africa Development Corps (ADC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Africa Development Corps (ADC), formerly known as Visions in Action, is an international NGO based out of Washington DC, working in relief and development throughout Africa. Over the past 23 years we have been involved in the implementation of a wide range of humanitarian activities in countries such as Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa and Liberia. In particular, ADC has implemented development and relief programs in the areas of HIV/AIDS, education, youth development and food security.
Our current programming in Uganda focuses upon book distribution, library construction and teacher training in rural areas. The program aims to facilitate pupil’s transition from learning in local languages to learning in English. We do this, firstly and foremost, by providing new English textbooks received from donors to schools throughout Uganda. Also, we aim to foster a culture of reading in individual villages and communities, as well as train teachers on how to establish and run school libraries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The job holder will be responsible for general financial management of the organization.
- Track program budgets and expenditures, and alert Director and Education Program Manager of significant actual and potential over and under expenditures.
- Take charge of petty cash and office expenses.
- Approve routine expenditures such as local transport, fuel, small repairs, and in the field per diems for staff.
- Control operating costs and reduce them when prudent to do so.
- Assure that vouchers are completed correctly by staff, and that all expenditures are backed up by proper receipts
- Assure that Financial Policies are followed, as per the ADC Finance Manual.
- Assure that three pro-forma invoices are obtained for purchases over US$500.
- Assure that two pro-forma invoices are obtained for purchases from US$100-500.
- Assure that the approved hourly and daily labor rates for various skilled and unskilled jobs are upheld
- Pay all bills and taxes to the Uganda government.
- Receive petty cash from the bank and bring same to the Education Program Manager.
- Reconcile expenses and petty cash with monthly bank statements.
- Setup a double-entry accounting system using Quickbooks.
- Assist the Education Program Manager with the monetization process as needed.
- Submit regular monthly finance reports to Executive Director and Education program Manager.
- Prepare and submit financial reports to donors.
- Prepare documents for the annual audit, and liaise with the auditors.
- Be responsible for all admin related duties; these include organizing working visas for international staff, booking flights, and liaising with NGO board.
- Perform any other relevant job tasks
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should possess a University degree required in business or accounting.
· At least five years’ experience working with an international NGO, bank or company desired.
· Good working knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software and fluency with a double-entry, accrual method of accounting needed.
· Experience producing financial statements and working with external auditors required.
· Experience managing finances of U.S. government contracts, especially USAID, desirable.
· Excellent communication skills and be able to manage a variety of duties in a small office.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates with the necessary credentials should E-mail their applications to email@example.com and the Country Manager, Tom Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org
The email application should include a CV, covering letter stating why you qualify for the position, and three references. The subject line of the email should read: “Application for the role of Uganda Finance and Administration Officer.”
Please note that due to the amount of emails we receive, we will only be able to reply to those candidates who are short listed for interview. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Deadline: 10th January 2014
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline