Job Title: Engagement Manager
Organisation: The ResilientAfrica Network
Funding Source: USAID
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Innovation
The ResilientAfrica Network, a partnership of 20 sub-Saharan African universities led by Makerere University in Uganda, together with Stanford University, Tulane University and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), will provide USAID with;
- A unifying analytical framework (“Resilience Framework”) providing insight in how programming affects the resilience of populations;
- A field network of Resilience Innovation Labs (‘RILab’) to create, test, and incubate solutions for development challenges in Africa, and
- A massive online course to promote collaborative learning.
The architecture of the ResilientAfrica Network in Africa will consist of four (4) lead universities in Uganda, Ethiopia, South Africa, and Ghana who will establish Resilience Innovation Labs (RILabs) (which will be the focal points of technology innovation and commercialization of university research attracting local and national resources, sustainably funded, with replication potential across sub-Saharan African cities), as well as other university partners in other sub-Saharan African countries.
Job Summary: The Engagement Manager will offer students and faculty will be a key component of RAN’s approach to programming and will be a key resource in innovations. The Engagement Manager will be primarily responsible for engaging students, faculty and stakeholders. The Engagement Manager will provide the ResilientAfrica Network with guidance in the development and implementation of an engagement strategy. The Engagement Manager will work with the Director of Innovation to represent the interests of the ResilientAfrica Network and Makerere University in innovation activities in Africa. He/she will represent the ResilientAfrica Network Innovation team and Makerere in regular stakeholder engagements and will report directly to the Director of Innovation. A specific focus of the role will be to work with the Director of Innovation to develop strategic relationships on behalf of the ResilientAfrica Network and Makerere with the private sector and academic partners throughout sub-Saharan Africa to support innovation and social entrepreneurship. He/she will ensure that engagements conducted complement RAN’s resilience initiatives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will work with the RAN Director of Innovation, and Senior Innovation Advisor in the development and implementation of an engagement strategy
- Will work with the RAN Innovations Team, specifically Director of Innovation, Senior Innovation Advisor, and the RILabs to establish links with the community, innovators, students, faculty, private sector as well as other stakeholders
- Will work closely with the IT Officer to develop an online and offline presence with the communities, university teams and other stakeholders and demonstrate best practice by utilizing RAN’s website effectively to drive content that effectively engages stakeholders
- Will provide technical assistance to RILabs in regards to the engagement of students and faculty within RAN universities
- Will provide technical assistance to RILabs in regards to establishing linkages between innovators and specialists for incubation of ideas
- Will coordinate linkages between innovators, faculty and specialists for incubation of ideas within Makerere University and will provide support for other universities in the Eastern Africa RILab
- Will establish linkages between the Eastern Africa RILab and the community level
- Will scan the on-going projects of RAN to identify the range of multi-disciplinary staff needed and then liaise with the respective academic units in the partner universities to identify and engage with faculty needed to support these micro-projects.
- Will work with RAN Director of Innovation to ensure that engagement activities support the development of RAN innovations
- Will work with RAN Director of Innovation to provide mentorship and technical support to RAN funded innovation teams
- Will work with the RAN Director of Innovation to develop strategic relationships on behalf of the ResilientAfrica Network and Makerere with the private sector and academic partners throughout sub-Saharan Africa to support innovation and social entrepreneurship
- Will work closely with the RAN Director of Innovation and Senior Innovation Advisor to set the baseline for the working relationship between U.S. based institutions and RAN.
- Will work closely with the Director of Innovation to support Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) teams with the necessary engagements to foster their operationalization
- Will work with the RAN Director of Innovation and the RILabs to ensure that the coordination of linkages between innovators and specialists for incubation of ideas runs smoothly
- Will seek needed technical expertise from entire RAN team and RILabs as appropriate.
- Will work with the Director of Innovation to support identification, development, incubation, and scaling of RAN innovations through identifying and consolidating the required linkages
- Will work with the Director of Innovation and Senior Innovation Advisor to support strategic partnerships that support innovations
- Will serve as resource for teams developing innovations
- Will translate research into appropriate deliverables for stakeholders
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a relevant Masters Degree in either Social Sciences, Technology & Engineering, Communication or any other relevant discipline
- At least two years’ experience is required
- Experience working in a university environment is an added advantage
- Experience managing timelines, seeking resources, identifying internal and external stakeholders, building and managing partner relationships, and collaborating with project teams
- Experience working with diverse, cross-functional teams including teams with academic, innovation community, communities, humanitarian sector and private sector members
- Past project management experience
- Knowledge of the innovation community from the perspectives of academia, innovators, private sector and humanitarian sector
- Experience designing and conducting research
- Proactive and demonstrable ability to work with minimum supervision
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience identifying resource needs and sources and vetting potential partner and good negotiating terms
- Experience leading or participating in workshops teaching innovation principles
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and juggle tasks
- Excellent public speaker and presenter with good interpersonal skills
- Good Networking skills
- Excellent Teamwork
- Ability to make it Happen
- Creating Shared Purpose,
- Shaping the Future and Inspiring and motivating
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should fill out an online application form via the website link at www.ranlab.org.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 20th December 2013.