Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Uganda Railways Corporation (URC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Corporation Secretary
Reports to: Corporation Secretary
Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a body corporate established under an Act of Parliament to construct, operate and maintain railway, marine and road services both inside and outside Uganda for the carriage of passengers and goods. As a result of privatisation of operations, the mandate of URC changed from that of an operator to that of asset holder, concession monitor and advisor on railway technical matters.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will offer legal advice to the Corporation on various matters including employment, land, contractual issues, and in its dealings with various entities and government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in accordance with the relevant policies, laws, standards, procedures, and guidelines in force, and also conduct litigation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice to the Corporation's departments on the legal procedures to follow in line with the relevant laws;
- Participate in contract negotiations and provide legal advice with respect to contractual rights and obligations for services to be received or rendered by the Corporation;
- Draft and review contracts and monitor their implementation and compliance in line with the Corporation's objectives and relevant laws;
- Conduct legal research and render legal opinions to ensure that the Corporation has full information about the legal implications on any matter to enable informed decisions by management;
- Prepare pleadings for and against the Corporation and represent URC in the courts of Law or other tribunals and prosecute cases in accordance to the relevant laws of Uganda.
- Develop and review strategies for the Corporation's litigation efforts .1 prosecute cases in line with the relevant laws; based on good practices and in line with professional guidelines, and procedures relating to case management;
- Generate reports from judgments/rulings for use by the Departments and stakeholders;
- Undertake legal action on behalf of the Corporation where it is deemed necessary;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant government ministries and departments on matters affecting the corporation;
- Participate in the Preparation of annual work plans, performance plans and budgets for the department;
- Coordinate the activities of external legal counsel of the Corporation;
- Ensure all records for the department are appropriately kept;
- Perform any other duties, which may be assigned by the Corporation Secretary
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must possess an Honours degree in Law with a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from LDC;
- Enrolment as an advocate with a valid practising certificate;
- At least three (3) years' experience after enrollment, handling litigation in a law firm or other organisation;
- Computer literacy skills are a must;
- Trial Advocacy skills;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to deliver with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be assertive, self - driven and results oriented;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent interpersonal relational skills;
- High degree of Integrity.
How to Apply:
All suitably interested and qualified candidates with relevant qualifications, experience and the core competencies should submit their applications in a sealed envelope marked "Application for Position of…. “clearly addressed to the Managing Director, URC, P.O. Box 7150, Kampala, Uganda. Plot 57, Nasser Road, and delivered at the office of the Managing-Director, URC. The application should be accompanied with an updated CV/resume, present position, current remuneration, Certified copies of academic certificates and testimonials and complete addresses of three (3) referees with working telephone contacts and email addresses.
Deadline: 3rd January 2014 by 4 pm
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline