Job Title: Legal Officer (3 Career Opportunities)
Organisation: Umeme Limited
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Integrity Manager
Umeme Limited is an Electricity Distribution Company listed on the Uganda and Nairobi Securities Exchange, with Actis’ Infrastructure 2 fund as a majority investor. Actis is a leading investor in the emerging markets, managing over US$4.8bn worth of investment on behalf of more than 100 institutional investors, including the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC), a UK Government owned company.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will primarily conduct, monitor and oversee the investigation and prosecution of Umeme electricity distribution & supply employee ethics & integrity related criminal cases.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct private prosecution on behalf of Umeme in the courts of Judicature in Uganda.
- Draft, prepare and prefer charges for criminal cases under private prosecution on Umeme’s behalf.
- Direct Umeme investigators, the Uganda Police and any other appointed investigative agency in the investigation and collation of evidence required for successful prosecution of criminal cases initiated for and on behalf of Umeme.
- Sanction any such charges preferred before filing in Court.
- Liaise with the Uganda Criminal Investigation department in lodging and following up of suspected crime related complaints lodged for and on behalf of Umeme Ltd at the Police.
- Attend to key stakeholders’ complaints regarding Umeme criminal cases under private prosecution.
- Coordinate with the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to ensure that the complaints are investigated and appropriate charges preferred and suspects produced in court.
- Plan and coordinate the attendance of witnesses and avail evidence including exhibits during trial.
- Handle legal records of all matters in jurisdiction.
- Attend court sessions after watching briefs of all major cases that Umeme has interest in which are initiated by Director of Public Prosecutions
- Send periodic reports on the progress of all cases at Private Prosecution, Uganda Police, Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP)’s office and trial court.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized higher institution of learning. A post graduate diploma from the Law Development Centre (LDC).
- At least three years’ experience in prosecution with an excellent success rate.
- Possess the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven track record of honesty, impeccable integrity, self motivation
- Willingness to work upcountry.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are the ideal candidate and desire a career in Umeme, please send your application and CV clearly detailing your suitability for the position in terms of required qualifications and experience to: email@example.com. UMEME is an equal opportunity employer: Any influence-peddling will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: Friday, 20th December 2013 by 5:00p.m.
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline