Job Title: Research Program Manager
Organization: Uganda Health Marketing Group Ltd. (UHMG)
Duty Station: UHMG Head Office – Kampala, Uganda
Reports To: Director Programs & Services
Uganda Health Marketing Group Ltd. (UHMG) is a Company Limited by Guarantee, whose vision is Vision is “A good life for all Ugandans”. We envision a Ugandan society with good life, when products and services in Reproductive Health, HIV, Malaria and Child Health are accessible, affordable and effectively utilized by all those in need. Our Mission is “To improve the quality of life of Ugandans, through the provision of superior and affordable health care solutions.”
Job Summary: The Research Manager is a cross cutting role which provides a coordination mechanism to guide UHMG in the design and implementation of evidence-based interventions, monitor activities progress, and evaluate them for their cost effectiveness and impact. In addition, this position will provide a mechanism of documenting best practices, identify replicable models for scale up and timely dissemination of UHMG achievements and key learnings to stakeholders, and contribute to research journals and publications.
The Research Manager will work very closely with all programs sector managers to identify key priority researches for incorporation in the overall annual work plans. Prioritized research activities will be analyzed for their relevancy, credibility, feasibility, cost effectiveness and added value to the overall organisations mandate. In addition, the Research Manager will work specifically with M&E team to ensure that the organisation’s PMP is well aligned to effectively monitor progress of the organisational Annual Work Plan. The Research Manager will play a leading role in regularly carrying out informative operational research, and in the development and updates of the organisations M&E framework.
This position requires a person who has strong skills in research, monitoring and evaluation (RME) development, leadership, communication, and documentation, to effectively and proactively reinforce the organization's commitment to strong RME systems. S/he must focus on quality, improvement effectiveness and efficiency, and model independence, objectivity, ethics, integrity, professionalism, and avoidance of bias and conflict of interest.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a strategy of measuring UHMG programs’ impact in terms of effectiveness of supported interventions, coverage of targeted populations, and identify efficient models for replication nationally and in other regions experiencing similar national health and social economic profile.
- Lead in the publication of UHMG results and best practices across all service sectors, and particularly ensure that UHMG subscribes and contributes to key journals and publications.
- Work with the HIV/AIDS team to develop research objectives for HIV/AIDS prevention and care programs to increase prospects for their increased effectiveness and impact, through identification of barriers to services scale up and sustained utilisation, pilot testing of new innovations and scale up plans for feasible options.
- Support the Maternal and Child Health (MCH) sector to prioritize programs activities in line with evidence from researches carried out internally and reviews of other established authorities.
- Design and implement operational researches to identify barriers to sustainable MCH services utilisation, design pilots on new innovative strategies to overcome identified barriers and develop a scale up plan for the delivery of these services.
- In collaboration with the Reproductive Health team, identify research themes to analyze current issues that limit full utilisation of FP services to address the unmet need for family planning and other service delivery gaps in the reproductive health services, and develop a plan to scale up identified best practices, after promising/successful pilot tests.
- Offer technical support the Malaria Program team to identify key research themes for scale up of malaria prevention services and case management services uptake. Key areas include the extent of use of preventive measures; LLITN and IRS, as well as adherence to malaria case management guidelines; lab testing for suspected malaria fever and adherence to prescription guidelines by both providers and clients.
- Work with the Communications team to guide the design and implementation of evidence-based interventions, and incorporate activities on monitoring and evaluation frameworks with key benchmarks to evaluate program outputs and impact.
- Work with the Marketing teams to monitor and evaluate the impact of brands promotion activities based on key monitoring indicators to monitor specific brands uptakes, customer preferences and satisfaction with their use.
- Work with the Product Facility team to monitor market penetration of UHMG distributed products, market share, and determine strategies to capture and maintain specific products market share. Also work with this team to analyse the cost-benefit of the third party logistics services, product sales and distribution.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree in related disciplines (statistics, social sciences, public health) with advanced studies (Masters’ level) in epidemiology, research methodologies and project management and evaluation.
- A minimum of three years experience in managing a senior research and M&E function.
- Key competencies required for this position include ability to design and implement operational researches using different research methodologies (qualitative and quantitative methods) to provide information for programs planning, monitoring and evaluation of supported interventions.
- Experience in the use of data analysis software (SPSS, STATA, Excel, etc) is mandatory.
- Demonstrable results in previous work environment would reinforce claims to this experience.
- Ability to consult, make and implement decisions in line with agreed principles and criteria.
- Display high ethical standards and integrity, strong personal values and character.
- Able to think analytically, independently and creatively, and have attention to detail. Must have strong leadership and result-oriented skills, and should be meticulous, and able to work independently, with objectivity and sound judgment.
- Have self motivation, initiative, hard work orientation and good team work/player skills.
- Organizational and facilitation skills, as well as good communication and feedback skills in person and in writing (reporting).
- Ability to simultaneously multi-task while handling conflicting priorities, and to stand pressure, observe and work under strict deadlines in a multidisciplinary, multidimensional organization.
- Ability to grow in a challenging career and to add value to the organization’s strategic goals, and adapt to change.
- Ability to take a proactive approach to overcome challenges and achieve results against strategic objectives, whilst working within the organization’s core values and beliefs.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send or hand deliver their CVs, copies of certificates and cover letter clearly indicating position applied for on the “top left-hand side of the envelope” to: The Human Resources Manager, Uganda Health Marketing Group Ltd. (UHMG), Plot 20-21, 27-28, Martyrs Crescent, Ntinda, or to P. O. Box 4553, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 20th September 2013 by 4:30pm.
NB: Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Please deliver your applications to the UHMG reception.