Job Title: Publishing Manager
Organization: Makerere University College of Health Sciences
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Background: African Health Sciences is a rapidly growing reputable journal published by the Makerere University College of Health Sciences.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage articles submission, review and publishing processes
- Prompt response to authors, reviewers and readers
- Check preliminary and final proofs for errors and make necessary corrections.
- Operate desktop publishing software to design, layout, and produce camera-ready publication.
- Scan and edit photographs and other images
- Produce graphics such as diagrams, charts and tables
- Re-size design elements to fit the page
- Make sure that each page, and the document as a whole, is uncluttered and well balanced
- Any other duties assigned by the editor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should possess a Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences/ Humanities/Communication with at least two year's experience in publishing.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- The candidate must have the technical capacity to work in a fully electronic environment; knowledge of HTML and web accessibility standards
- Editing experience in publishing or journalism, with ability to quickly edit articles for content, grammar, and style and to work with writers to ensure AHS content meets high editorial standards.
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Excellent organizational skills
- Possess an ability to set and meet firm deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge
- Be creative, with an eye for good design
- Be able to prioritize a varied workload
- Work well under pressure and to strict deadlines
Job Terms and Conditions: The salary and terms and conditions are very competitive and negotiable based on experience.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their applications accompanied with a current CV indicating 2 professional references and day time telephone contact plus copies of relevant certificates should emailed to the Editor-in-Chief, African Health Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 26th September 2013