Job Title: Commercial Lead, AppLab Money Incubator
Organisation: Grameen Foundation
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Our Client is a leader in the fight against poverty in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, the Middle East/North Africa and Latin America and is seeking to recruit a passionate, innovative and driven Product Manager to lead Grameen Foundation Uganda’s product development for mobile financial services designed to increase poor household’s access to appropriate, affordable financial services.
Mobile money has yet to reach its full potential. Though nearly 150 mobile network operators have deployed mobile money, few have successfully reached poor consumers. Even fewer have explored the latent demand for anything other than payments products—from savings, to micro-insurance, to loans. To address this problem, Grameen Foundation (GF) is working to set up incubator teams in several countries that test innovations in mobile financial services. The incubator combines in-depth research approaches with rapid product testing to develop mobile financial services that are appropriate for the poor and move the industry beyond payments.
The Commercial Lead will be joining a diverse team of highly motivated individuals with a passion for developing commercially sustainable products for the poor. For example, in Uganda, we comprise a range of skills – from a PhD in mobile money to research experts to an IT guru who has launched mobile deployments across Africa and a former UK retail bank product manager.
Job Summary: The Commercial Lead will be a commercial expert within the AppLab Money Incubator team and will be expected to drive the development of truly innovative business models to provide financial services to the poor. He/she will be deeply embedded in all aspects of the product development process, from initial research and analysis to final prototyping and evaluation. The Commercial Lead will be responsible for ensuring the mobile products we develop are commercially sustainable for our partners while also meeting the needs of poor users. There are currently vacancies for Commercial Leads within the Ugandan, Kenyan and India Incubator teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lead the process of developing innovative approaches to monetizing financial products:
- Develop new models for sustainable mobile financial services products for the poor
- Model the economics of these options and provide recommendations on a path forward
- Work with our partners to ensure these models will be successful within their current operations
2. Work closely with the AppLab Money team to conduct research into the needs of poor households:
- Conduct secondary and primary research activities to understand behaviors and needs
- Analyze current financial services offerings and understand gaps that can be addressed
3. Work with the team throughout the product development and piloting process:
- Drive team ideation sessions to develop new ideas from field insights
- Support development of prototypes and field testing with our product designers
- Monitor and evaluate consumer testing of products throughout a series of pilots
4. Offer support the project manager in maintaining the relationship with our donor and in developing new potential partnerships:
- Help create and present materials to share our work with our partners
- Identify and meet with other potential partners who could support new products
5. Help the team document findings in various forms (blogs, monthly updates, reports etc.)
6. Provide training and mentorship in business and commercial skills to junior staff team members
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Two to three years experience in management consulting or an equivalent role
- The candidate should possess a deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Believes in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people
- Is able to bring creativity, innovation, and a thirst for new ideas to our team
- Has strong written and oral communication skills
- Has strong analytical and business modeling skills
- Has deep knowledge of Microsoft office products (excel, PowerPoint, word, etc.)
- Experienced working in developing countries preferred, but not required
Physical and Environmental Conditions: This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should visit the web link below and create a profile on the NFT Consult website by entering their e-mail addresses
Please visit web link below and click Apply now if convinced you have the job requirements