Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/04/2013
Job Title: Environmental Inspector
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Environmental Inspector
Salary Scale: E4
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to coordinate, monitor, enforce and supervise all activities in the field of environment for purposes of ensuring sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Environmental Inspector will contribute to environment management by undertaking inspections of site, factories, premises both public and private, land, water bodies and other establishments for the purpose of determining how respective activities undertaken conform to Environmental Laws and Regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop criteria and checklists of areas to be inspected and ensuring that it is discussed, agreed and implemented;
- Conduct inspections of sites that have been degraded or activities that are degrading the environment with a view of monitoring trends; and recommending and taking remedial actions;
- In liaison with the Senior Environmental Inspector in coordinating inspections and monitoring activities of licensed inspectors from sectoral inspections and the private sector;
- Ensuring compliance with environmental laws and other guidelines;
- Preparing periodic inspection reports and recommending follow-up actions;
- Preparing an inventory of degraded areas from time to time indicating their degradation agents with a purpose of taking mitigation measures;
- Training District Environment Officers, Environmental Inspectors and other stakeholders and also providing technical advise to the Authority on compliance with Environmental Laws and Regulations;
- Carrying out any other duties assigned by the Director of the Department and Senior Environmental inspector;
- Carry out other relevant responsibilities as may be assigned by Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a Masters degree in any of the following fields: Environment and Natural Resources. Any other additional relevant qualifications are an added advantage.
- At least 3 years working experience working on production processes and systems; Environmental Inspections and auditing ,Laboratory processes, cleaner production practice as an Inspector in a related field.
- Proven skills in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Environment Science will be added advantage or any other related position in an industrial production and environmentally related field.
- Additional training in Environmental Monitoring or inspection discipline will also be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All applicants should send their handwritten applications either by hand or via electronic mail and/or through post office enclosing copies of certificates/testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road
P.O. Box 22255
Deadline: 23rd September 2013 by 5.00 pm