Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/03/2013
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Salary Scale: E4
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to coordinate, monitor, enforce and supervise all activities in the field of environment for purposes of ensuring sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Procurement Officer will support the preparation, management and contracting of a variety of goods, works and services of NEMA. He/ She will also support Quality Assurance functions related to procurement and contracting of services and participate in all procurements undertaken at NEMA.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to NEMA and assist Management in operations and procurement related functions.
- Assess the compliance to PPDA and development partners’ procedures on goods, works and services procured for NEMA.
- Prepare and implement NEMA’s procurement plan.
- Prepare tender documents for the procurement of goods, works & services.
- Assist NEMA Management & the Contracts Committee to review procurement requests for completeness, adequacy and clarity of tender documents.
- Implement procurement and contracting transactions to purchase goods, works and services at the best value;
- Take pre-emptive action on operational, administrative and procedural issues of tenders submitted by suppliers and service providers;
- Prepare all necessary procurement management reports;
- Prepare & make available on time the tender documents for bidders;
- Demonstrate professional behavior, personal ethics, integrity and transparency in dealing with clients and service providers;
- Mentor colleagues by sharing knowledge in procurement procedures;
- Ensure that procurement procedures and guidelines are harmonized in the PPDA Procurement Manual.
- Undertake any other task related to the procurement function which could be requested by NEMA management & Contracts Committee and;
- Any other relevant tasks that may be assigned.
- Prepare and establish general and specific procurement notices;
- Establish and update the entity’s Procurement plan;
- Maintain a database of procurement activities
- Solicit bids or quotations, analyze for compliance with specifications for cost, delivery, warranty, maintenance, etc;
- Prepare tender procurement notices and requests for proposals based on specifications and terms of reference provided by the User Dept’s;
- Participate in bid opening, evaluation and negotiations between NEMA and suppliers/contractors and facilitate in obtaining of clearances from development partners,
- PPDA, Solicitor General etc;
- Participate in the evaluation processes of the technical and financial proposals, coordinate and participate in the negotiation process when required;
- Participate with the Legal team in the drafting of contracts between NEMA and the consultants, suppliers/Contractors;
- In liaison with User Departments, ensure timely response of NEMA to the consultant’s & other contractor’s reports as well as approvals of the consultants assignments;
- Establish a procurement filing system in compliance with the PPDA Act & Regulations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a first degree in Economics, Business Administration, Procurement & Logistics. A Post Graduate Diploma in Project Planning & Management, Public Procurement Management as an added advantage for those without a first degree in procurement & logistics;
- A Masters’ degree in the above disciplines is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years experience in a business environment in procurement services either public or private sector or international organizations;
- Full Membership of the Institute of Procurement Professionals of Uganda.
- Possess background in strategic planning and economic development
- Strong ability to work in a team environment with results-based orientation and to bring tasks to completion under tight deadlines;
- Working knowledge of PPDA & World Bank Procurement procedures
- Working knowledge & ability of Ms Office Software, Ms Access, Ms Project, Windows etc Trainer, results oriented and self motivated
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ethics Standards management
- High level of proven integrity in procurement
- Analytical with business acumen.
How to Apply:
All applicants should send their handwritten applications either by hand or via electronic mail and/or through post office enclosing copies of certificates/testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road
P.O. Box 22255
Deadline: 23rd September 2013 by 5.00 pm