Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council
Reports To: Council
The Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament, Chapter 272 of 1996 to regulate and enforce standards of education and practice in Uganda so as to protect society from harmful effects of malpractice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent Council in Courts of Law and prosecute both civil and criminal cases
- Advise Council on legal matters
- Draft legal documents and contracts,
- Investigate and prepare cases for prosecution in line with court procedures and relevant laws,
- Interview and brief witnesses on court/Arbitration proceedings and practices in line with the Evidence Act and Professional Ethics,
- Prepare progress reports on cases where the council has interest,
- Conduct legal audits for all divisions to ensure that all legal aspects of any decisions are fully considered,
- Conduct legal research and preparing reports on any legally complex issues to ensure that the council has full information about the legal implications of any decisions,
- Draft regulations to fully operationalize the UMDPC Act. X
- Perform any other duties incidental to the above assigned from time to time by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Legal Officer should possess an Honors Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized institution,
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal practice from LDC
- At least 3 years experience in legal practice in a reputable organization
- Must be enrolled as an advocate of the high court of Uganda with a practicing certificate.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter with the names and contacts of 3 work related referees to the Human Resource/ Administration Officer at the following address: Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council, P.O Box 16115, Plot 6, Lourdel Rd., Wandegeya, Kampala, Uganda. Tel: +256-41- 345844
NB: Only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are shortlisted will be contacted
Deadline: Monday, 26th August 2013 by 5pm.