Job Title: Programme Officer
Organisation: Avocats Sans Frontieres (ASF – Lawyers without Borders)
Project: International Justice Programme
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head to Mission
About ASF Uganda:
Avocats Sans Frontieres (ASF – Lawyers without Borders) is an international non-governmental organization working towards the establishment of a just, equitable and united society, in which both the law and justice serve the most vulnerable. The primary goal of ASF is to contribute to the establishment of institutions and mechanisms that allow for access to independent and impartial justice, and which are capable of guaranteeing the protection of fundamental rights (civil and political, economic and social), including the right to a fair trial.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and oversee the technical and organizational aspects of project activities i.e. time, and effective project coordination and implementation.
- Participate in budget management and financial monitoring of the project.
- Attend technical meetings presided over by the Head of Mission.
- Ensure regional project activities are duly implemented in close collaboration with the Legal Aid, awareness and training teams.
- Maintain key stakeholder relationships with project partners in international criminal justice.
- Collect and manage ASF’s documents related to international criminal justice and compile and prepare reports.
- Participate in the evaluation and quality assessments of the project by the various collaborators working alongside the program coordinator.
- Develop briefing papers on international criminal justice issues where need be.
- Communicate while observing ASF protocols to the Head of Mission advising on project progress and highlighting key initiatives and any key hindrances that may hinder project success.
- Participate in project planning and evaluation of the project.
- Develop strategic orientation of the project in coordination with the International Justice Expert.
- Represent ASF in external meetings, conferences and trainings.
- Stay current with the latest international justice criminal developments in Uganda and the East African region as a whole and inform the Head of Mission and International Justice HQ team aware or any key obstacles in the ASF project interventions .
- Perform other duties relevant to the success of this project.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Programme officer should be a holder of a LLB in Law, a master’s degree in human rights law, international criminal law or a related area is an added advantage.
- A minimum of two to four years work experience (preferably with an NGO or organization of similar stature) which also deals with issues of human rights and or/ international criminal justice.
- Good project management and budget management skills.
- Good legal writing and research skills
- Good oral facilitation skills; experience representing organization at public for a.
- Strong commitment to human rights and international justice.
- Self motivated, highly self initiative, Ability to work independently, multi-taking ability, Meeting deadlines, Work under pressure, excellent team ethic and highly professional.
How to apply:
All suitably qualified applicants should send a motivation letter with a detailed and writing sample to: Administration Finance and Logistics Officer; Avocats Sans Frontieres Plot 832, Old Kira Road, Bukoto. P.O. Box 36710, Kampala, Uganda OR Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 19th July, 2013