Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Summary: The IRC seeks an experienced Education Specialist to provide technical support for a proposed US Department of Labor (USDOL) program to help Ugandan youth develop the skills to secure decent work and to serve as civic leaders in their communities. The project will target vulnerable youth ages 15 to 18, promoting education and vocational training and decent work opportunities for those of appropriate work age. The project will also seek to enhance livelihoods for youth and their households, support civic engagement of youth, and encourage youth to take on leadership roles within their communities. This position is contingent on the IRC being awarded the cooperative agreement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Education Specialist will be responsible for the implementation of the technical aspects of the project related to education interventions, in collaboration with the Project Director. He/she will:
- Design the needs assessment of primary/secondary learning environments, as well as vocational training opportunities and project action plan within 12 months of grant award in coordination with the Project Director;
- Ensure that proposed interventions/activities are based on accepted best practices and strategies for youth that will enhance their future employability;
- Train project staff;
- Monitor program performance in meeting established objectives, redesigning initiatives as appropriate;
- Liaise with technical specialists of partner organizations and government agencies;
- Develop and promote partnerships with academic institutions/universities that promote vocational and other training opportunities for target youth;
- Plan and implement training initiatives;
- Develop and/or refine pre-vocational and vocational training curriculums that promote opportunities for youth that reflect market analysis and demand;
- Promote links to technical colleges and
training institutions offering relevant programs for target youth;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) or higher in education, international development, or other human development related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a leadership position, preferably in Ugdanda, responsible for developing complex education interventions and the technical aspects related to student assessment, teacher training, educational materials/curriculum development, educational management, and educational monitoring and information systems for formal and alternative education programs.
- Experience in managing projects to address issues related to primary and secondary education.
- Understanding of special educational needs of children removed from child labor when they enter/return to school or are provided with alternative education services.
- Experience working with vulnerable children and their households, preferably in Uganda.
- Experience working successfully with Ministries of Education and other government agencies, networks of educators, employers' organizations, and trade unions or comparable entities.
- Strong writing and editorial skills; be able to work under pressure; and possess strong interpersonal and intercultural skills that enable them to work well with a diverse team.
- Experience managing USDOL-funded projects is a plus.
- Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply:
If interested in this vacancy, please click link below and review details and express interest if you much the profile http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=9381
Deadline: 31st July, 2013
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our
facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline