Job Title: Database / Systems Administrator
Organisation: Ministry of Education and Sports (Student Loan Scheme TaskForce)
Reports to: Head, Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Government of the Republic of Uganda, through the Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) is planning to introduce a Student Loan Scheme to increase equitable access to higher education in Uganda; support highly qualified students who may not afford higher education; ensure regional balance in higher education services in Uganda; develop and support courses which are critical to national development an ensure quality education in public institutions through quality assurance and supervision. The MoES applicants herein will form part of the Loan Scheme after which commencement of the formulation of the Student Loan Board.
Job Summary: The Database / Systems Administrator will be responsible for the operation of the Integrated Management Information System (ILMIS) and ensure that both the development of the Loan Scheme’s products and services are made electronically available and that of the Students’ Loan Scheme ‘ ICT services (ICT systems and infrastructure) is also available to the authorized users i.e. staff, customers and the general public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Head ICT to develop the strategy, implementation plan and procedures annually.
- Plan for strategic direction of key electronic resources including network infrastructure, Integrated Loan Management Information System, websites and information databases among other systems already in place
- Provide technical ICT support (systems support, database development, website, infrastructure development, mail services and other related maintenance activities).
- Review existing ICT systems and resolve gaps or weaknesses that may exist.
- Prepare a detailed section work plan for the delivery and ongoing development of the Students’ Loan Scheme ICT function.
- Deliver timely systems support and maintenance to the students’ loan scheme and clients.
- Configure, support and identify Students’ Loan scheme internal ICT systems and ICT infrastructure services.
- Identify and develop new and more innovative ways of sharing information with the public and clients.
- Develop and provide technical support for the development of information databases and resources including but not limited to the Students Loan Scheme web based resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head ICT.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The systems administrator should possess an honours bachelor’s degree in either mathematics (computing option) or statistics (computing option) or computer science or software engineering or computer engineering from a recognized institution.
- Professional certifications like MCDBA, MCSE, MCSA, MCITP are highly desirable.
- Proven experience in managing relational databases for organisations of repute
- At least three (3) years working experience in the IT field from a recognized institution.
- A good understanding of Students’ Loan scheme will be an advantage.
- Good command in both written and spoken English.
Personal Competencies: Strong research skills, Analytical skills, numerical skills, Computer literacy, excellent communication and writing skills, high integrity levels, excellent interpersonal skills.
Age: 26 Years and Above
How to apply:
All suitably qualified Ugandans should deliver their handwritten applications which should be sealed and deliver them to; The Assistant Commissioner – Human Resource Management, Ministry of Education and Sports, Embassy House, 4th Floor, Room 10, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 19th July, 2013 by 5:00 PM