Organisation: Cheshire Services Uganda (CSU)
Project: Girl Education Challenge (GEC)
Reports to: Project Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Cheshire Services Uganda (CSU) is a local nongovernmental organization working in the field of disability arid development CSU is a member of the Leonard Cheshire Disability Global Alliance, a membership of over 55 countries. CSU works with and for Persons with Disabilities through four thematic programme areas of Livelihood, Inclusive Education, Advocacy and campaign and Health and rehabilitation. CSU has been selected by the Girls Education Challenge (GEC) to receive DFID funding to design a project to effect long-lasting and transformative change for girls with disabilities in Kampala district. The project will support girls with disabilities to enroll and demonstrate learning and retention in mainstream primary schools. CSU will in the next five months develop the project further basing on the baseline to be conducted. CSU therefore wishes to recruit a highly qualified and sett motivated team to deliver the project upon final approval for implementation.
Job Summary: The Project Assistants (Field Liaison) will be of help in the identification and Mobilization of girls with disabilities at community level; engage community stakeholders including families and school authorities to ensure successful project implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the identification and registration of girls with disabilities to attend school.
- Work with families to support their disabled family member and raise awareness of disability issues.
- Support assessment and referral of girls with disabilities for rehabilitation.
- Support distribution of education supplies to girls with disabilities.
- Involve communities and PWDs in the planning and implementation of project activities targeting girls with disabilities.
- Create community awareness raising events on disability and girl education.
- Assist and work with teaming Assistants to ensure that girls with disabilities benefit from education.
- Support training of parents of girls with disabilities on income generating activities.
- Work with Project Officer Child Protection to Identify and refer cases of child abuse.
- Support the formation of child to child clubs in school and conduct training on human rights and disability in schools.
- Prepare and submit field activity reports to project officers for review.
- Support in the maintenance of the beneficiary database and files.
- And any other duties as assigned by superiors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The project assistants should hold a degree in Social Work and Social Administration, Social Sciences, Education, Development Studies, Community Based Rehabilitation, etc.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good report writing skills and Computer literacy.
- At least two years working experience on community projects.
Language requirements: Knowledge of English and the local language,
Other Personal Competencies: Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, good problem solving, planning and organizing, and customer care skills.
Additionally, all prospective employees should demonstrate the ability to work in a team, independently with minimum supervision as well as ability to work with Persons with Disabilities.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their application letters, CVs with three referees and copies of academic documents and state current and expected salary amount to:
The Chairperson Cheshire Services, Uganda Plot 953, Koire Close, off Bukoto-Ntinda Road, Bukoto. P.O Box 70012 Clock Tower, Kampala, Uganda
NB: Please clearly indicate on the envelope the position you are applying for. CSU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages suitably qualified persons with disabilities and females to apply.
Deadline: 31st July, 2013
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our
facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline