Job Title: Senior Database Administrator
Organisation: Uganda Telecom Limited (UTL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IT Enterprise Operations Manager
Uganda Telecom is committed to providing exceptional telecommunication services that meet our customer’s needs and improve our efficiency. We now have a vacancy in our organization. We invite you, if you are a self-driven, results-oriented individual, a team player who is keen on a new experience to take up the challenge for an efficient business delivery model.
Job Summary: The Senior Database Administrator will be responsible for all functions associated with the efficient design, implementation and maintenance (performance, integrity and security) of Relational database management systems (Oracle, SQL Server, Infobright, MY SQL, Sybase and Informix databases.)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mapping out the conceptual design for databases
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, database systems interface, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata);
- Ensuring that database storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly including developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans;
- Performs data modeling, normalization and third party vendor interface management.
- Performs the capacity planning required to create and maintain the databases.
- Performs ongoing tuning of the database instances.
- Install new versions of the RDBMS and its tools and any other tools that access the databases.
- Controls migrations of programs, database changes, reference data changes and menu changes through the development life cycle.
- Puts standards in place to ensure that all application design and code is produced with proper integrity, security and performance. The DBA will perform
- Review the design and code frequently to ensure the site standards are being adhered to.
- Evaluates releases of RDBMS and associated tools, and third party products to
- Ensure that UTL is running the products that are most appropriate.
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system
- Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) and primary database storage structures (table spaces) for Applications
- Modifying the database structure, as deemed necessary
- Ensuring compliance with RDBMS software license agreement
- Logging support ticket with RDBMS vendor technical support
- Carry out impact analysis of any changes made to the database objects.
- Administers all database objects, including tables, clusters, indexes, views, sequences, packages and procedures.
- Monitor and optimize system performance using index tuning, disk optimization
- Development of policy and procedures as they relate to database maintenance, security and archiving.
- Provide management reports as required.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Degree in Computer Science or information technology or related field.
- At least four years of related experience and demonstrable competence in administering Oracle 10g or later and SQL Server Databases, MySQL, PL/SQL, Oracle RAC, Oracle FORMS or a related area.
- Professional certification e.g. OCP, MSCE, Database administration etc.
- Database design skills and familiarity with the framework of enterprise architecture
- Strong analytical skills to the development of long/short term plans.
- Excellent writing skills for both conceptual and detailed material
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Effective negotiation, facilitation and influencing skills.
project management skills
How to Apply:
All suitable jobs candidates willing to work with one of Uganda’s leading telecom companies, UTL should send their applications to:
The Chief Human Resource & Administration Officer
P.O Box 7171, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 28th June 2013 at 5:00 PM
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline