Organisation: United States Embassy, U. S. Mission, Uganda
Vacancy Number: 021/2013
About CDC Uganda:
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is an international public health agency engaged in HIV prevention and care programs and research activities in Uganda. CDC offers excellent career opportunities for professional growth, training, and collaboration with other health professionals. The main CDC offices are located at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) in Entebbe. CDC is an agency of the United States Mission in Uganda.
Job Summary: Under the general supervision of the Heath Strengthening Systems Team Lead, incumbent is one of two supply chain management specialists, and directs the implementation of the supply chain management (SCM) process which includes the planning of procurement, inventory control, logistics and distribution to ensure that every step of the process is functioning effectively to avoid costly delays and interruption of stock in the health sector as it relates to CDC Uganda programs.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov/job_opportunites.html
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
Education required: Completion of a bachelor’s degree in public administration, public health, international development, business administration, accounting, finance, nursing, medicine or health services administration is required.
Work Experience required: Three years progressively responsible experience in pharmaceutical services, including one year in logistics management is required.
Language required: Level IV English ability (fluent written, spoken and reading). Knowledge required: Must possess a detailed Knowledge of health and HIV/AIDS service delivery in the public and private sector in Uganda, or sub-Saharan Africa. Must have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS care issues; Ministry of Health Logistics and Health Sector Supply Chain Systems-knowledge of the National drug supply and distribution program and guidelines; policies and regulations pertaining to pharmaceutical agents as well as principles of supply chain management. Must have detailed knowledge of logistics support, supply chain requirements planning, risk management, customer relationship management, supplier relationship management. The job holder must also have a detailed knowledge of the host country operational environment, including a good understanding of host government laws and regulations regarding public health-related implementing agreements. Detailed Knowledge of health and HIV/AIDS service delivery in the public and private sector in Uganda, or sub-Saharan Africa. A general knowledge of routine health information systems in developing countries, including knowledge of HIV administrative systems is required.
Skills and Abilities required:
- Good oral communications skills are required to define performance metrics and ensure clarity for measurement, comparison, or evaluation of supply chain factors, such as product cost or quality.
- The ability to maintain contact at all levels of the host government and with stakeholders in the non-government arena is required in order to explain supply chain program policies, objectives and procedures and to assist partners in reporting requirements.
- Ability to document physical supply chain processes, such as workflows, cycle times, position responsibilities, or system flows.
- Maintain effective working and management-level contacts within HIV/AIDS service delivery activities of the government and NGOs; ability to work effectively with team and interagency environments, ability to work in a decentralized system.
- Excellent inter-personal skills are required in order to coordinate with USG colleagues and implementing/ cooperating partners to ensure mutual cooperation.
- Leadership skills are required to work with program managers and staff of implementing partners to direct and coordinate various elements of logistics, budgeting for procurement and accounting operations is required.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174).
2. A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicants work experience attached as a separate sheet.
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
4. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.
Deadline: 2nd July, 2013
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.