Job Title: Project Officer (Tourism Project)
Organisation: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Reports to: Team Leader, Growth and Poverty Reduction Programme
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Government of Uganda is implementing the National Development Plan 2010/11-2014/15, which has a vision of transforming Uganda to a middle-income economy through the promotion of growth, employment and socio-economic transformation for prosperity. In that plan, Government recognizes that in the short to medium term, the tourism sector will be one of the key drivers in the country’s efforts to reduce poverty, and has great potential for foreign exchange generation, job creation, and provision of livelihoods to a significant proportion of the population. In this regard, the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Heritage (MTWA) with support from UNDP, is implementing a project Improving Policies and Regulations to Support Development of Markets in Tourism.
Job Summary: The Project Officer will offer technical backstopping support and assist in monitoring and reporting of project activities
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare substantive reports and written contributions for various purposes, including inputs for the annual work plans and reports; overviews, synthesis papers, discussion papers, briefing notes and other reporting needs;
- Support the project in capturing and disseminating programme results and relevant developments, as well as extracting critical lessons learned and good practices from monitoring and evaluation visits and processes;
- Provide technical and advisory support to the project in the design and implementation of strategies, effective application of RBM tools and monitoring the achievement of results;
- Facilitate knowledge building and results-based change management, through identifying and synthesizing best practices and lessons learned on effective implementation of the project;
- Assist in supporting the Project Manager and Government focal point in the day to day management of the project to ensure project reporting requirements are met, and that quarterly; annual and financial reporting is timely including the resolution of administrative issues within the UNDP CO regarding work plan/budget reviews, payments, procurement and ATLAS reporting among others;
- Perform any other related tasks that may be required.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Bachelors Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies or any other related fields.
- At least four (4) years progressive experience in project management preferably in growth and poverty reduction related programmes/projects with central/local governments, civil society organizations and development agencies.
- Knowledge and experience with UN/UNDP programming, guidelines, tools, rules and processes is an added advantage.
- Experience in design and implementation of strategies, effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Practical knowledge and experience in development of policy and inclusive markets
- Experience in the use of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Project and Resource Management:
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills with demonstrated ability to think strategically, make sound judgments and to manage competing priorities;
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality outputs in a timely manner while understanding and anticipating the evolving client needs;
- Ability to focus on impact and results for the client, promoting and demonstrating an ethic of client service;
- Strong capacity to communicate clearly and quickly.
Partnership building and team work:
- Demonstrated well developed people management skills;
- Strong ability to manage teams; creating an enabling environment, mentoring and developing staff;
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills;
- Demonstrated flexibility to excel in a multi-cultural environment.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are one of the three ideal candidates for this fantastic opportunity for the United Nations Development Programme, then visit the web link below for full job details http://jobs.undp.org
NB: UNDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 21st June, 2013
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline