Job Title: Market and Product Development Specialist
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
HarvestPlus is a Global Challenge Program of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). HarvestPlus seeks to develop and disseminate nutrient dense staple food crops as a means to reduce micronutrient malnutrition (hidden hunger) in developing countries The initial target micronutrients are iron, zinc, and vitamin A. HarvestPlus Uganda has received five (5) year funding to upscale dissemination of provitamin A (orange) sweet potato and high iron beans to farmers in selected regions of the country.
Job Summary: The Market and Product Development Specialist will be in charge of this component and will take the lead in refining a country marketing strategy for biofortified crops to ensure sustained production and supply in the market He/she will work with different stakeholders especially farmers’ groups to support them to produce for the market and facilitating trade linkages.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Refine country specific marketing strategy for the promoted crops (orange, sweet potato, high iron beans)
- Work with farmers groups and associations to bulk produce for marketing and create trade linkages with traders and institutional buyers
- Design and execute promotional campaigns to promote marketability of the targeted crops
- Conduct training for extension agents, market link farmers, retailers and traders as demanded
- Promote product development and value addition for the biofortified crops.
- Build capacity of farmer groups and associations with a focus of working with traders to establish profitable trading systems and a consistent supply of biofortified crops
- Work with extension teams to extend the season of biofortified crops through improved post-harvest techniques and various production schedules
- Document the growth pattern of the marketing interventions.
- Conduct periodic market research studies.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Masters Degree in a relevant area of expertise (e g Agriculture. Agribusiness, marketing);
- Strong and proven experience in working with farmers to strengthen marketing of produce in various markets
- Experience working with public and private sector institutions.
- A team player, collaborative, self motivated and able to work well with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to conceptualize and initialize development programmes especially in the area of marketing,
- Strong interpersonal skills, fluent in English with strong writing skills;
- Knowledge of one or more Ugandan languages.
How to apply:
All enquiries and applications, including an application letter, a curriculum vitae, and the name and contact information of three professional references (including telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address), should be sent to the Country Manager, Dr. Anna-Marie Ball (harvestplusug@gmail com).
We invite you to learn more about HarvestPlus by accessing the web site www.harvestplus.org
Deadline: Monday, 24th June 2013