Job Title: IT Support Officer
Organisation: Uganda Telecom Limited (UTL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IT Service Desk Administrator
Uganda Telecom is committed to providing exceptional telecommunication services that meet our customer’s needs and improve our efficiency. We now have a vacancy in our organization. We invite you, if you are a self-driven, results-oriented individual, a team player who is keen on a new experience to take up the challenge for an efficient business delivery model.
Job Summary: The IT Support Officer will be charged with the provision of First Level IT support to UTL Staff, install, configure and maintain computers, associated peripherals and software in proper working state
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer excellent IT support within the agreed time frame to ensure efficient utilization of IT services
- Empower users with basic troubleshooting and problem resolution through regular interaction to increase productivity through use of IT Services.
- Maintain a knowledge base on IT problem/incident resolution
- compilation and maintenance of an accurate inventory of hardware and software
- Installing and performing repairs on company desktops and laptops
- Work closely with Systems Administrators and network administrators to guarantee system operational efficiency , implementation of software patches, and seamless insertion of new technologies into the operational baseline
- Timely closure of assigned trouble ticket
- To maintain the existing PCs and peripherals to standards determined by the Team Leader, by performing upgrades, new installations and carrying out routine procedures.
- Carry out routine preventive maintenance according to agreed schedule
- Ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the integrity of the UTL network is not compromised.
- Manage service desk tickets, planning and prioritizing systematically to minimize backlog and ensure operational efficiency.
- Automation of Troubleshooting Process
- Testing and evaluating new technology
- Conducting electrical safety checks on computer equipment
- To redirect or escalate support requests to Second Level support teams
- To contribute to ensuring that the Service Desk systems and software are kept up to date and Messages are passed on and feedback received promptly.
- To assist in the compilation of the Support Centre’s technical documentation, guidelines and Procedures and ensure they are disseminated to users.
- To maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job, Participate in appropriate training activities and encourage and support staff in their development and training
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Information Technology
- Two (2) years relevant IT/industry experience and/or qualifications/experience in the following areas: Unix, WAN, LAN, Windows Server, Windows Desktop, Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server
- Professional certification is optional but advantageous
- ITIL is an added advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Effective presentation and networking skills.
- Strong team and collaborative skills, ability to lead/perform in a team environment.
- High level of personal energy and willingness to take the initiative in planning and organizing daily work.
- Good judgment in discerning between priority and non-priority issues.
- Strong desire to acquire and apply new skills in a constantly evolving highly technical environment.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and stressful situations.
- Ability to make decisions independently using logical assumptions and factual information.
- Strong sense of urgency and drives issues to closure.
- Strategic Thinking; Innovation and Creativity; Risk Taking and Risk Management; Results Orientation skills.
How to Apply:
All suitable jobs candidates willing to work with one of Uganda’s leading telecom companies, UTL should send their applications to:
The Chief Human Resource & Administration Officer
P.O Box 7171, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 28th June 2013 at 5:00 PM