Job Title: Governance & Accountability Advisor
Organisation: MS ActionAid Denmark
Duty Station: AAU Country Office, Kampala, Uganda
Monthly Salary: 2,726 Euros
ActionAid is an international Non-Governmental organization working in 42 countries to end poverty and human injustices. ActionAid has been working in Uganda since 1982 when it started working in then Mityana Sub County, Mubende District, and now is operational in about a dozen Local Rights Programs. Since then AAU has expanded its operations throughout Uganda as part of its long-term commitment to working with the socially and economically disadvantaged. ActionAid Uganda’s approach is rights based. We believe in a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life in dignity.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Play a role in ensuring the Anti-corruption actors in Uganda develop an advocacy strategy and a coordination plan of implementation
- The Advisor assist AAU and its national strategic anticorruption partner, Anti-Corruption Coalition Uganda to identify research areas and help transform via training and other capacity building methods the community based Independent Budget Monitors (IBM) in a number of monitoring processes such as the use of Public Expenditure Tracking, Community Score Card etc
- The advisor will support anti-corruption partners (ACCU and selected Regional Anti Corruption Coalitions) program staff to conduct and interpret research results and re-package them for dissemination within various key advocacy platform and stakeholders
- The Advisor will assist anti-corruption partners to develop an advocacy strategy for national coordination of the efforts of various stakeholders and community monitors
- The job holder will advise and support AAU Governance Coordinator to assist Anti Corruption
- Coalitions to strengthen forums for coordinating and implementing collaborative anti-corruption activities
- He /She will advise and train ACCU program staff in skills required to strengthen and develop stronger coalition building mechanisms such as code of conduct, networking and alliance building that take consideration of grassroots actors through to national level structures
- Advise AAU and partner leadership on setting up enduring mechanisms where activists and various anti corruption and accountability partners engage government and anti graft agencies to identify and tackle corruption cases and the reform of policy
- Provide hands on support and advise to partners representatives on proactive engagement with government representatives within the government Inter Agency Forum -government created Forum where representatives of govern graft units address corruption issues with representatives of civil society
- Advise partners and LRPs on how to engage in accountability spaces at their levels and assist in identifying these spaces and build their capacity to engage
- Support anti-Corruption Coalition Uganda and Regional Anti Corruption Coalitions with organizational development guidelines for improving internal governance and the coordination of their work
coalitions trainings on Internal governance structures, policies,
structures and systems.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- The candidate should have a post graduate qualification, minimum of a MA, in governance or any other related social science degree (Public Administration, Human Rights, Development Studies, Policy Studies etc).
- Experience of working with relevant NGOs, Government Institutions and donor agencies essential
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience, of which 2 should be governance related from within the demand side of accountability
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in governance/anti-corruption programmes in developing countries, knowledge and experience of East/Southern Africa would be an advantage
- Knowledge of governance status of Uganda and legal and policy frameworks anti-corruption legislations in Uganda, government and NGO anti-graft agencies, socio-economic and cultural context essential
- Knowledge of social accountability and human rights work is essential
- Practical experience with developing and implementing accountability methodologies such as Public Expenditure Tracking etc.
- Experience with multifaceted governance programming
- Good knowledge of organizational development, especially facilitation
in guiding network building is important.
- Excellent people relations skills
- Strong strategic and policy analysis skills
- Profound research, campaign advocacy & lobby skills
- Outstanding coordination skills
- Solid facilitation skills
- Proven coaching, mentoring & advisory skills
- Research and Policy analysis and lobbying
- Practical understanding of governance accountability issues and gender asymmetries
- Diplomacy and tactful engagement skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, understanding the organizational hierarchy, patience, flexible and approachable
- Politically sensitive
- Diplomatic and respectful
- Upright character who is resistant to adversity
- Self-starter and innovator
- Culturally sensitive
- Deeply analytical with a strong politico-economy bias
- Language: Speak fluent English and ability to interpret and communicate complex information in a simple and easily understood context.
Salary (filled in by AADK) Monthly Salary: EUR 2726,00
Pension: (AA DK 10% contribution) EUR 272.6
Advisor own contribution of 3% - EUR 81,78
Relocation Allowance EUR 636,00 for the Advisor and EUR 318,00 per dependent up to a maximum of Euro 1.908.00
Shipping Entitlement (based on family size) 120 Kg (or 20-50 cubic metre based on 60 Kg family size) and 60 KG per dependant
House Allowance(based on national AA Rules and family size)ActionAid Denmark will provide a housing allowance, based on national policy of typical costs for accommodation.
Daily Allowances as per AA per diem guidelines.
UGX 85.000 per diem per day when off station
How to Apply:
If interested in working with Action Aid Uganda in this portfolio, please send all applications must include a letter of motivation and an updated CV via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line: Application for AAIU Governance & Accountability Advisor position.
Deadline: 7th July, 2013