Organisation: Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Centre Manager
Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social business that uses modem management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare across every district of Uganda. We aim to contribute 15 points to Uganda’s contraceptive prevalence rate by 2015 saving and improving many thousands of Ugandan lives. MSU has 25% of the market share in modem contraceptives and, In 2010/2011, safely delivered 50,000 babies and contributed 4 points to Uganda’s contraceptive prevalence rate. MSU has enjoyed 20% year on year growth since 2007 MSU is part of a global network, Marie Stopes International (MSI), and subscribes to MSI goal and mission, to prevent unwanted births and to ensure individual’s rights to Children by Choice not Chance.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Taking necessary steps to ensure that all centre clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration.
- Effectively manage and resolve complaints raised by clients and promptly escalate difficult issues to the Centre Manager
- Budgetary Control and Supplies Management
- Ensure that stock is dispensed and counted accurately
- Ensure that stock cards are updated continuously and waste and spoilage of stock (ie expired stock) and stock outs is minimised.
- Ensure full participation in stock counting and ordering activities at the centre (including the laboratory, the main store and dispensing cupboard supplies).
- Ensure that the Centre Manager is alerted in time of low stock or discrepancies in stock counts orders received.
- Taking necessary steps to ensure that costs of utilities like water, power, stationery and other utilities used at Mane Slopes Centre are minimised, and that the centre assets in your possession are maintained in a sound and secure way.
- Technical Excellence
- Administer drugs prescribed in the coned dose, the coned route and at the correct strength for the client, give injections in a safe manner using the aseptic technique.
- Assist with Norplant & IUD insertion. MVA procedure, Pap smear, Tubal Ligation and Vasectomy procedures.
- Provide antenatal, post natal care, emergency deliveries (midwives), and immunisation services.
- Follow STI treatment protocols correctly
- Counsel patients to lake up appropriate FP methods.
- Take necessary steps to ensure that the highest standards of reproductive health and family planning services are achieved, as laid down in the Marie Stopes Partnership Manual (including HIV/AIDS services)
- Conduct weekly checking of essential equipment and promptly inform the Centre Manager of their current status, and follow up repairs or maintenance required of equipment.
- Familiarise yourself with MSI protocols and actively implement all the necessary tasks to achieve the highest standards.
- Clean and sterilise instruments and supplies (gauze and cotton wool) at the Centre.
- Ensure that company clients are attended to promptly; claim forms are completed accurately with coned costs calculated on forms.
- Ensure that accurate records are kept in the Centre, and that timely accurate reports are submitted to the Centre Manager.
- Update and complete all records handled by you and these may include toe client register, client cards and receipt books
- Maintain confidentiality of client records and ensure that clients are charged as per MSU price list
- Strive for income from services to meet or exceed set targets.
- Perform any other work related duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
- Provide comprehensive client counselling on reproductive health and other health matters.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery,
- Must have an up to date registration certificate from a recognised institution.
- Computer literacy (MS Office Packages)
- 3 years active service to a clinical setting.
- Knowledge of medical procedures, terminology, and equipment
- Sound knowledge of Family Planning methods.
- Sound knowledge of STI detection, management and advice to clients
- Ability to assist with procedures efficiently and effectively to MSI and MSU standards (BTL. Vas, PAC, Norplant. IUD, I.V.)
How to apply:
If interested in working with Marie Stopes Uganda, Please send a CV and Cover letter by email to or post to the Senior Manager, People and Development. Plot 1020, Kisugu- Muyenga, P.O Box 10431, Kampala-Uganda, quoting the position title. Marie Stopes Uganda is an equal opportunities employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Mane Stopes Uganda is thankful to all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet alt requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Deadline: Friday 24th May, 2013 by 6pm