Job Title: Head Procurement & Disposal Unit
Organisation: The Rural Electrification Agency (REA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Secretariat of the Rural Electrification Board (REB) as established by Statutory Instrument 2001aNo. 75. The REB’s main function is to oversee the management of the Rural Electrification Fund (REF) and facilitate the development and implementation of rural electrification projects under several sources of funding (i.e. Government of Uganda, World Bank under Energy for Rural Transformation, (ERT) project, SIDA, JICA, etc.,).
Job Summary: The Head of Procurement & Disposal will be charged with the provision of efficient, effective and timely procurement services to REA and ensure total compliance with the PPDA Act and Regulations and Procurement Requirements of Development Partners.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide the necessary management and leadership to the Procurement and Disposal Unit (PDU) to perform its functions efficiently, effectively, promptly and in accordance with the required procurement guidelines.
- Facilitate the formulation of an overall procurement strategy for REA and ensure its implementation.
- To provide the necessary guidance for compliance with the obligations of the PPDA Act and Regulations and other Guidelines for Projects funded under multilateral and bilateral financing agreements
- To be responsible for the preparation and periodic updating of annual or multi annual procurement plans in consultation with other technical departments in REA and ensure that the procurement plan is integrated with the work plans and the Financial Budgets.
- In consultation with user departments, initiate the procurement process and coordinate the preparation of Terms of Reference, Statement of Requirements, Specifications and Bid documents for the procurement activities under REA.
- Establish and maintain a simplified Procurement Tracking System for monitoring of the procurement activities, contracts register and procurement/contracts status Reports etc.
- Establish and maintain a database of pre-qualified suppliers and shortlists of consultants and periodically update based on responses received to the REA’s advertisements and consultant requests;
- Participate in the evaluation of bids and proposals and take the lead role in providing procurement technical guidance to the evaluation committees.
- Ensure timely receipt of the goods and consultant’s monthly status reports. Track and monitor the ordering process, and ensure that the requests and deliveries are within the contract terms and conditions.
- Manage all disposals in line with the PPDA Act and/ requirements of Development Partners where applicable.
- Provide effective staff supervision; including planning, monitoring, developing and evaluation of their performance on a regular basis.
- To carry out any other task(s) as may be deemed necessary by REA management.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A good Bachelors degree in Procurement and Supply Chain/Logistics Management from a recognized University, OR Any good Bachelors Degree and Full Professional Qualification in a Procurement Related Discipline e.g. CIPS, etc.
- Post Graduate Qualification in a related discipline will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 8 years working experience in a busy Procurement Office, 5 of which should be at the level of Head Procurement Disposal Unit
- Extensive working knowledge of the PPDA Act and Regulations and Procurement Requirements of Development Partners like World Bank, SIDA, NORAD, JICA etc.
- Problem analysis and problem solving.
- People skills (internal and external).
- Effective communication.
- Report writing.
- Stress tolerance.
- High level of computer literacy, with experience in the use of relevant packages.
Age Limit: Not less than 35 years old
How to Apply:
The Rural Electrification Agency invites suitable applicants for the above position who should submit their applications including cover letter, CV, names and addresses of 3 reputable referees and copies of relevant academic certificates and testimonials The Executive Director Rural Electrification Agency Plot 10, Windsor Loop, Kololo. 2nd and 3rd Floor, House of Hope, P.O. Box 7317 Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 7th June, 2013