Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
NRC has since commencement of operations in Uganda in 1997 distinguished itself as one of the largest humanitarian actors with strong physical presence in northern and south western Uganda. NRC is the only humanitarian agency with a country office situated in Gulu, within the displaced community. Its approaches and hallmark emergency intervention package have earned NRC good standing among beneficiary communities, confidence of government and donors as well as good working relations with the UN and other implementing agencies. NRC’s intervention package involved establishment of education infrastructure, skills training for youth, displacement related legal assistance, food security, food distribution and durable solutions for returnees. In the absence of a return to violence, the Uganda country programme is phasing out in December 2013.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support and monitor the financial performance and adherence to procedures of NRC Uganda both at country office and field office level, to ensure responsible and transparent management of donor funds.
- Ensure adequate financial management routines and systems are in place, and that NRC's accounting practices and reporting routines comply with quality and policy requirements from NRC, donors, auditors and local authorities,
- Ensure current analysis and financial project reports are communicated to the Country Director, field offices, Grant and reporting Manager, Project Managers and the NRC HQ in Oslo,
- Maintain overall budget control and perform budget reviews in conjunction with the Country Director and Grant Manager
- Support NRC Programme staff in Uganda on budgetary issues and financial reporting
- Initiate and conduct training in budgeting procedures, cost monitoring and financial administrative procedures for NRC staff
- Support a fair and accountable management and practice of NRC Logistics, Procurement and IT.
- Oversee the NRC Logistics and Procurement departments are functional and procedures are followed up and are timely delivering to the projects
- Guide and supervise the IT officer in the development of adequate IT solutions both at the country office and field offices
- Be responsible for preparation and implementation of IT guidelines for NRC Uganda
- Support the Country Director in the implementation and development of administrative tools and routines and ensure that the NRC administrative support functions are professional and cost effective.
- Visit field offices and NRC field operations and ensure that NRC financial routines are implemented and adhered to,
- Assist with any other duties assigned by the Country Director, as and when required
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Relevant university degree, preferably business administration/financial management OR other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
- Experience from accounting and management may compensate for lack of formal education.
- Has a clear track-record within Finance and Administration Management at senior level
- Proven management experience in a complex, multi sectored and large sized program in an emergency context
- Understanding public policy and financial planning procedures
- Solid experience of work with windows based computer software, and modern accounting-systems
- Proven skills and experience in report writing
- Fluency in the English language, both written and verbal
- Holder of a valid and clean international driver’s licence
- A mature and experienced person who holds natural authority
- Understands and appreciates the implications of being part of a Country Management Team
- Has the attributes of a Manager, i.e. can take and execute decisions, delegates, holds initiative, is able to prioritize, consults to get clarity but is able to perform without much day-to-day supervision and follow-up
- Appreciates the importance of finance, administration and project implementation being intricately connected and understands the need to be seen both as a support and a control function.
- Ability to plan for different sets of scenarios in relation to budgets and plans Understanding of issues in complex emergencies and crisis contexts
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- Knowledge of Uganda and/or the region an asset
How to Apply:
Please click on web link for review of full job description and how to Apply and register your CV. Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Deadline: 26th May 2013