Vacancy Announcement No. : VA-06-2013
Job Title: Head of Sub Office
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely, Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Job holder will coordinate and manage all WFP programme activities under the Gulu Sub Office including Finance, Administration, Logistics, Human Resource and Security.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compile the Sub Office work plan in construction with the Country Office.
- Undertake annual reviews of the Sub Office work plan and put in place strategies to facilitate achievement of the set targets.
- Supervise and manage the sub office staff.
- Undertakes long-term operational planning for the Sub Office
- Ensure that the program components are implemented according to the program documents.
- Authorize travels within areas of operation.
- Ensure programme activities as per the documents.
- Ensure monitoring and submission of reports to country office.
- Promote partnership
- Evaluate performance of all partners and advise Head of Programme on appropriate actions.
- Guarantee cost effective logistics operations.
- Suitable management of food commodity and Non Food Items (NFI).
- Evaluate logistical needs and advise Head of Logistics on appropriate action.
- Minimize risk of staff and all office property.
- Evaluate ICT needs
- Ensure implementation of HR policies.
- Advise Field Security Officer on situation.
- Proper performance management
- Evaluate Staffing requirements
- Signatory to accounts.
- Evaluate financial needs of office.
- Manage assets.
- Promote WFP visibility and reputation.
- Represent the Country Director in Sub Office level.
- Coordinate all activities with the Country Office and Gulu Sub-Office.
- Evaluate advocacy and communication needs
- Any other duties when required.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Advanced University degree or University Degree with experience in any of the following disciplines economics agriculture, international affairs, business administration , social sciences , development studies or any other related field attained from a recognized Institution .
- A t least six years post graduate relevant working experience in public sector management , development projects and/or emergency assistance gained from a reputable organizations.
- Previous management experience is necessary.
- Proficiency in English (Oral & Written).
- Project planning, management and advocacy training highly desirable.
- Computer skills particularly MS Office.
How to apply:
Ugandan nationals who meet the above requirements are requested to submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates under confidential cover quoting on the envelop the vacancy announcement number and name of the applicant to: The Human Resources Officer UN World Food Programme, P. O. Box 7159, Kampala.
Hand delivered applications should be dropped in a box at the reception of WFP Offices at plot 17-19, Clement Hill Road. Applicants should check on the Notice-Board at the main entrance to confirm that their applications have been received one week after the closing date. Applications must be received by the deadline and only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Please note that incomplete submission will be disregarded.
Deadline: Thursday, 25th April, 2013