Job Title: Research Assistant
Bioversity International undertakes, encourages and supports research and other activities aimed at improving the well being of present and future generations of people by enhancing conservation and the deployment of agricultural biodiversity on farms and in forests, with special emphasis on the needs of developing countries. The organization is active in over 100 countries worldwide, and has more than 300 staff working from some 20 country offices. It is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator assisted with other scientists, the research assistant will be based at the Bioversity Kampala Office and will assist the gender focal point with research on gender, value chains, agriculture and nutrition related topics within 2 CGIAR programs; Roots, Tubers and Bananas and Humid Tropics. More specifically, the incumbent will:
· Assist in the design of data-collection tools
· Conduct socio-economic data collection in rural areas
· Data-entry and cleaning
· Assist in data-analysis
· Translation of local language in English
· Writing of reports
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· Master degree in gender studies, sociology, economy, rural development or other related degree.
· A Bsc degree will be acceptable based on related research experience.
· Profound knowledge of gender issues especially in relation to farming and value chains
· Knowledge of farming and food security systems in the region.
· Experience with statistical data analysis software and ability to enter data and perform analyses
· + 2 years’ experience of work experience in reputed agricultural research organizations; conducting fieldwork in rural areas and especially in interviewing farmers and other actors about social-economic issues.
· Skills and abilities:
· Excellent English language skills and a proven track record of written reports and papers
· Excellent computer skills
· Ability to speak fluent English and Luganda and /or Runyankole and preferably one other local language
· Ability to interact easily with people; ability to make contact and connect and conduct in-depth interviews.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual
· Willingness to work irregular hours and spend extended periods in the field
How to apply:
Electronic submissions of application letters and Curriculum Vitae with at least.3 references should be sent to: The Regional Coordinator attention of Ms Siifa Lwasa at: Bioversity International, Katalima Road, Plot 106 Naguru, P.O. Box 24384, Kampala; Tel:+256 414 286 213,
Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please indicate your contact telephone number(s) and/ or email address for easy contact.
Deadline: March 18, 2013.
The position title and reference number “APPLICATION FOR RESEARCH ASSISTANT: GENDER -BUO”should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email application