Job Title: Legal Officer
Reports to: Manager Legal
Organisation: Insurance Regulatory Authority of Uganda
Job Summary: To assist in the provision of legal services and in the compliance with the provisions of the Insurance and other pertinent laws.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
· Assess legal implications in the Authority’s dealings with the insurance companies, other operators who carry on other business which falls within the purview of the Insurance Act, 2000 and other pertinent laws and regulations
· Interpret the Insurance Act, 2000 and other pertinent laws and regulations, to assist in the enforcement together with its related regulations as need may arise.
· Manage the Complaints Bureau as provided for in the Insurance Act, 2000.
· Monitor enactments of laws and regulations and assess their impact on the operations of the Authority.
· Provide legal advice to the Authority.
· Review insurance proposals and policy forms.
· Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· At least an LLB Degree with a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal practice.
· Knowledge of insurance law will be an added advantage
· At least three (3) years experience in legal practice in a reputable organisation.
· Personal attributes and competences
· Good communication skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to work with minimum supervision.
· Ability to work amidst tight deadlines
· Strong computer skills
How to apply:
Hand-written applications clearly marked “Job Application” with current Curriculum Vitae together with:
copies of academic transcripts, certificates and testimonials;
three referees who can testify to the applicant’s abilities, working experience and integrity; and
a daytime telephone contact,
The Applications should be submitted to the Chief Executive Officer at the above address not later than 5.00p.m 22nd March 2013. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.