Job Title: Engineer II, Fixed Lines Planning
About MTN Uganda:
MTN-Uganda is the leading telecommunications Company in Uganda, providing payphone, fixed lines, fax/data, internet and mobile services. MTN is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking to recruit a competent individual to fill the vacant Position of Engineer II, Fixed Lines Planning. The position reports to the Senior Engineer, Fixed Lines Planning
Primary Job Purpose:
To provide system performance monitoring for MTN’s Fixed Lines Network nodes through:
· Setup, Collection, Analysis and Dissemination of a variety of core network statistics.
· Timely recommendation of relevant capacity upgrades so as to meet the demands of both subscriber and traffic growth.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Setup, collect and analyze network statistics (such as processor load, route/C7/HSL congestion, Erlang utilization, MHT, BHCA, route availability, etc.) for the fixed lines network equipment (both Fixed lines switch & IMS nodes).
· Prepare weekly, monthly and annual fixed lines Core Network Node performance reports that capture the gist of the statistics mentioned in (1), above for the internal customers of fixed line Planning.
· Monitor Fixed lines core Network traffic and recommend switch capacity adjustments to meet traffic requirements through (i) raising work orders to the Operations Department (ii) Network Status Reports.
· Forecast Fixed lines core Network capacity requirements to meet growing network traffic demands and subscriber projections as per the MTN business plan.
· Timely development of Project specifications for all new Core Network Platforms and services for submission to the Capital Projects Department for Implementation.
· Monitor Core Network Nodes Licenses so that timely license upgrades may be carried out without exceeding capacity limitations.
· Technical Lead for Core fixed lines Planning projects assigned.
· Plan, monitor, coordinate and accept all new fixed line building developments, improvements and installations.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
The applicant must possess the following:
· A Bachelor’s of science Degree in Electrical/Telecommunications engineering.
· One year's experience in Core Network Planning and traffic engineering.
· One years’ experience in operation of digital telephone exchanges, signaling number 7 and GPRS/EDGE and 3G networks.
· Strong knowledge of key fixed lines technologies including IMS, CDMA, NGN (MGW & soft switch), ISDN etc.
· Understanding of wider trends in international and local telecoms industry.
· Proficiency in use of windows, UNIX Platforms and IP Networking. Proficiency in MS office packages.
· Individual should be innovative, results-oriented and have the ability to work long hours under pressure.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send their Job Applications with detailed CVs, certified copies of academic certificates (originals are to be presented at the interview) and names and addresses of three referees addressed to the: Recruitment Officer, MTN- Uganda, P.O Box 24624, Kampala, not later than Friday 8th February, 2013.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MTN Uganda is an equal opportunity employer.