Job Title: Engineering Officer
Reports to: Infrastructure Coordinator.
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)/Danish Demining Group (DDG)is a private, independent humantarian organisation working to provide durable solutions and promoting human security. In Uganda, DRC/DDG works in north, north-western, south-western and north-eastern regions in a range of emergency/development support for the communities in need (for more information go to www.drc.dk). DRC/DDG calls for applications from qualified candidates to fill the vaccancy of the position as:
Job Summary: Implement DRC responsibility in the management and Implementation of approved infrastructure projects in the West Nile region within the provisions of the set standards in the DRC and RDE Operational and Program Manuals / Standards.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Coordination/ Representation
· Responsible for the coordination with stake holders, all DRC infrastructure related linkages representing the organization within its internal guidelines / standards and those of donors / partners.
· Develop relationship with a range of Key stakeholders in CF, OPM, UN Agencies, Local Governments and the Private Sector.
· Attend and represent the interests of DRC in all infrastructure related meetings with the DLGs and CF.
2. Project Development, Implementation and Reporting
· Contribute to concept and proposal development in the infrastructure thematic area.
· Contribute to grants management of all infrastructure projects through day to day monitoring of activity expenses.
· Coordinate the Planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of infrastructure projects in West Nile region.
· Manage all the infrastructures activities in accordance to set standards in DAR Operational and Program Manual.
· Take responsibility and accountability for all BOQs for infrastructure activities ensuring that BOQs are prepared to the standards and within the project Operations and Programme guidelines/ standards.
· Review and approve all the BOQ’s prepared by the Engineering Assistants and ensure they are site/ location specific and are inconformity with the standard operation manual.
· Ensure prior written notification to and; written approval from the CF and DRC Project Manager of any change of design or scope of work outside the approved standard operation manual, before such a change become effective.
· Practically inspect all the infrastructure projects for quality assurance and standards.
· Conduct annual road inventories and collection of civil engineering data.
· Ensure the construction of prototypes, culvert installation and inspection is carried out.
· Carry out road condition assessment of community access roads together with district engineering department.
· Carry out monthly road condition assessment and report to the responsible authorities.
· Provide technical guidance during opening of new roads, buildings and other infrastructures.
· Develop a monitoring scheme, which include performance and impact indicators for all infrastructures related activities.
· Take records of all infrastructures maintained and prepare monthly progress report.
· Take measurement of the work done, to certify quality by the contractors.
· Inspect and supervise works for quality control and compile inspection report.
· Ensure work is done according to the technical specifications & drawing during implementation.
· Prepare budgets and work plan for infrastructure activities.
· Provide engineering and advisory services to departments within the organization.
3. Staff Development and Management
· Provide Technical and Programmatic Leadership for the Engineering team in West Nile.
· Develop staff performance measures and targets and upraise them based on the targets set.
· Conduct training needs assessment of all the Engineering staff and make recommendations.
· Conduct periodic field visits to support field staff through technical backstopping.
· Uphold DRC’s international code of conduct.
· Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized Institution
· Post graduate Diploma in Construction Management.
· Have certificate in Roads inspection course Part 1 and Part 11.
· Must have a certificate in labour based works.
· The candidate must be skilled in road works and plant Management.
· The candidate must have Technical skills in Project Planning and Management.
· Must have good management skills and presentation skills
· Concern for Accountability, quality and standards
· At least three (3) years of working in an NGO
· Must have valid Riding Permit
The position is contract based. & months with the possibility of an extension until end of year 2013.
How to apply:
Deadline 08th February 2013.Please send motivated applications with CVs to:
(Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process)
Remuneration and benefits are as per DRC/DDG Uganda Standard Salary Scale and Benefit packages.
Female candidates with suitable qualification and experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://ugandanjobline.blogspot.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline