Job Title: Accountant
About MRC / UVRI:
The MRC/UVRI Research Unit on AIDS is a bilateral multidisciplinary research organisation funded by Medical Research Council (UK), DFID (UK) and other donor organisations and has been operational in Uganda since 1988. It is a centre of excellence in research conducting large-scale epidemiological and intervention studies, clinical trials, biological and immunological research and behavioural studies which have generated a wealth of research results to inform policy and practice.
The Unit is based at Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe with field stations at Masaka, Kampala and Kyamulibwa.
It has conducted a wide range of research which has informed policy and practice and led to a large number of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals.
Job Purpose: To provide a vital component of the Units internal controls by having supervisory and accounting responsibility for the areas of stores, procurement, fuel management and vehicle charge-out plus oversight of local contractor payments and travel billing/recharging ensuring all SOP are followed at all times.
To ensure that accounting entries are passed accurately onto the Navision and Oracle accounting platforms and for regular monthly reporting and reconciliations to the Senior Accountant or Director of Operations.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise of Accounts officer in the areas of stores, procurement, building contracting, fuel and vehicle accounting.
- Provide support for the Senior Accountant; and cover for and the second accountant during their absence.
- Review and analyse fuel purchase, delivery and usage cycles plus charge out to projects, including supervising the safe keeping of the fuel stores across all stations and overseeing the regular reconciliations from the accounts to the physical stock.
- Review and analysis of mileage claims and reports, and other rechargeable activities. Oversee the operations of the Stores functions for Entebbe, Kyamulibwa and Masaka stations.
- Variance analysis and report on incomes and expenses against budget.
- Working with the Senior Accountant to help prepare monthly expenditure and financial reports sent out to project leaders and funders, and Head office and producing these reports independently when the SA is on leave
- Supervise the activities and functioning of the Procurement section in both local and overseas purchases.
- Ensuring Value-For-Money in procurement and that the Unit uses only approved suppliers.
- Ensuring that tenders are placed and advertised correctly.
- Liaising with the freight forwarding and clearing agent companies on deliveries, and clearance of goods through the air and land ports, ensuring goods are received as per the bill of lading and rejecting any damaged goods.
- Provide support for the external and internal Audits conducted.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Administration.
- Full/Part Professional Accountant qualification (ACCA, CIMA, CPA)
- Three years’ experience in a busy accounts office with direct supervision of accounts personnel.
- Experience in an international donor funded organisation.
- Experience working with ERP packages, excellent excels; MS Office programs, office equipment.
- Good people management skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Dynamics-Navision; Oracle ERP system.
How to Apply:
Location: The positions will be based in Entebbe with periodic travel to field stations located at Masaka, Kyamulibwa & Kampala.
Start date: As soon as possible Applications including copies of academic qualifications, curriculum vitae and names plus telephone contact details of two (2) referees should either be addressed to:
The Human Resources & Administration Manager
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS
P.O. Box 49 Entebbe or send by email: email@example.com
Deadline: 31st January 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.