Reports to: Chief of Party (COP)
About MSH:Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit, public health organisation with headquarters in USA, whose purpose is to strengthen health programs worldwide. MSH Uganda is currently running a number of USAID and other donor funded projects including SURE, both in Kampala and other parts of the country.
SURE (Securing Ugandans’ Right to Essential Medicines) will ensure that the population of Uganda has access to adequate quantities of good quality essential medicines and health supplies (EMHS) by strengthening the national essential medicines and health commodities supply system.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Principle Technical Advisor, Supply Chain Operations ensures that systems and processes are in place for the successful development, implementation and evaluation of national program plans aimed at improving the availability of quality health commodities at the central supply agencies and the effective delivery of these commodities to health facilities in Uganda. Together with the COP, s/he assists the pharmaceutical sector of the Government of Uganda and its institutions in the implementation of policies and procedures aimed at strengthening supply chain operations at the central level.
- The Principle Technical Advisor provides support in the following areas across the key supply chain management areas: supply chain system assessment approaches and tools; forecasting and quantification methodologies; procurement; inventory control, logistics management information and distribution systems. S/he represents the project among institutional partners and stakeholders as necessary.
- The job holder will work closely with the COP to develop and implement work plans for assigned project area. In coordination with the COP provide technical guidance to subcontractors, defining their on-going technical roles in the project related to central supply agency system strengthening.
- Provide support to the design and implementation of system reviews aimed at strengthening the central supply agencies warehousing and distribution systems
- Support the MoH in building capacity for central supply agencies’ ability to monitor and evaluate their performance and make recommendations for system improvement.
- Assist the COP in tracking pharmaceutical financing from all sources in the health sector.
- Draft internal reports and communications as needed.
- Contribute to the implementation of strategies for capacity development across multiple supply chain areas.
- Supervise staff as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in business, pharmacy, public health with emphasis in supply chain management; advanced degrees preferred.
- At least 7 years’ experience in supply chain system assessment approaches and tools; policy reform related to health supply chain systems including health financing; product selection; forecasting, quantification methods and tools; procurement processes; inventory control; distribution systems and management information systems.
- Experience in delivering technical assistance programs.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the supply chain management system for health commodities in Uganda is preferred.
- Knowledge of PEPFAR-funded programs and USAID experience preferred.
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with professional colleagues in a broad range of governmental organizations and Implementing Partners.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications, teamwork and partnering abilities.
- Ability to produce results in diverse cultural, social, and language contexts.
- Demonstrated computer skills in MS Office Suite applications.
- Fluency in oral and written English required.
ll applications should be addressed to: The Human Resources Partner – MSH, Plot 15 Princess Ann Drive Bugolobi, P.O. Box 71419, Kampala Email: HRUG@msh.org
Deadline: 28th January 2013. We thank all applicants fey their interest, but can only acknowledge shortlisted candidates.
Note: this position does not attract international benefits.