Reports to: Technical Advisor
Job Summary: The Technical Officer provides support to a number of districts under SURE for planning, implementing, and monitoring pharmaceutical management interventions in the assigned districts. S/he works closely with district health management teams to ensure that all SURE technical assistance, capacity building and pharmaceutical information system activities are adequately implemented; and that results are adequately documented.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit, public health organisation with headquarters in USA, whose purpose is to strengthen health programs worldwide. MSH Uganda is currently running a number of USAID and other donor funded projects including SURE, both in Kampala and other parts of the country.
SURE (Securing Ugandans’ Right to Essential Medicines) will ensure that the population of Uganda has access to adequate quantities of good quality essential medicines and health supplies (EMHS) by strengthening the national essential medicines and health commodities supply system.
STAR E LQAS is charged with supporting the USAID-funded SO8 district-based Implementing Partners (IPs) to implement LQAS in their respective districts.
MSH now invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Job Summary: The Senior Data Specialist will support the management of the national LQAS database and the development of data analysis procedures. The Senior Data Specialist will support the central LQAS database for capturing, managing and analyzing data resulting from community LQAS survey and health facility assessment. S/he will also provide support and training for data base design and maintenance, data transfer from district level, editing and data quality procedures, analysis and use at the central level.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The Technical Officer will work closely with District and HSD Medicine Management supervisors to ensure that all public and NGO health facilities in the new SURE districts are supervised regularly. S/he will further ensure that performance assessment is done during a supervision visits and facility improvement plans are developed and implemented. In addition s/he will:
- Under the guidance of the Technical Advisor develop and implement plan for roll out of SPARS for EMHS management and Pharmaceutical financial management in the new SURE districts in the region
- In consultation with the Capacity Building Advisor ensure proper coordination and implementation of training program for MMS in SCM, PFM, Motorcycle riding, M and E and computer use.
- Coordinate with M and E staff at central office to implement data collection systems for health facilities and also ensure that all health commodities reporting activities are adequately carried out in the health facilities within districts.
- In collaboration with Technical Advisor ensure the successful implementation of pharmaceutical financial management in HC IV and Hospitals in the new districts
- Work with the Technical Advisor to implement the GPP inspection in facilities that meet performance targets and implement the accreditation ceremonies and other recognition scheme at facility level
- Work with the Kampala based management team and Kampala technical staff to assure that pharmaceutical and logistics reports related to essential medicines and to the different vertical programs are timely collected, compiled, analyzed and disseminated to key stakeholders.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Should be a Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician, or hold a degree in a health area
- At least 3 years work experience in health commodities supply chain.
- Experience in supervision and performance monitoring of health facilities in health commodities logistics management
- Knowledge and understanding of the Uganda public health system.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other stakeholders in developing creative and strategic solutions to achieve common goals.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and shifting deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational, administrative and communications skills.
- Strong teamwork and team-building skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft office suite
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively in the assigned region.
How to Apply:
All applications should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Partner – MSH, Plot 15 Princess
Ann Drive Bugolobi, P. O. Box 71419, Kampala Email: HRUG@msh.org . Deadline: February 8, 2013.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but can only acknowledge shortlisted candidates. Please note that any form of canvassing by candidates will lead to immediate disqualification
Note: Detailed job descriptions can be accessed at www.sure.ug