Job Title: Field Coordinator
Organisation: International Rescue Committee
The IRC operates across Uganda, serving communities affected by war in Lira and Kitgum districts, and populations affected by conflict in Karamoja. The IRC implements relief and rehabilitation activities in the sectors of Health, Education, Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, and programs targeting Gender-based Violence. Currently, the IRC operates in seven districts in Uganda; Kitgum, Lamwo, Lira, Alebtong, Moroto, Napak, and Kampala.
The IRC in Uganda is actively seeking a dynamic individual who will provide leadership and direction to the work that the IRC does in the Karamoja sub region. He/ She is responsible for is coordinating efficient operational and program support to the field office. The Field Coordinator works closely with the Program Managers/Officers in coordinating all IRC programs and representing the IRC to other key stakeholders in the field.
Key Result Areas:
1. Field Operational Management Human Resources / Administration
· Oversee all staff of the Karamoja field office, including direct supervision of senior staff
· Ensure that performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency
· Identify training needs for staff members and lead the realization of a learning and development
· Plan for the Karamoja Field Office
· Ensure all staff are aware of and in compliance with relevant IRC administrative policies and that all administrative matters are carried out in accordance with IRC HR and Administration policies;
· Logistics Oversee logistics support operations by Karamoja logistics staff, including procurement, stock management, vehicle operations, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment);
· Ensure all Karamoja-based staff are aware of and in compliance with relevant IRC and donor logistics policies
· Finance Oversee the financial management of field office operations by Karamoja finance staff, including cash management, issuing and tracking advances, ensuring complete and correct use of all finance forms, timely notice to Kampala of cash transfer needs
· Ensure all staff are aware of and in compliance with relevant IRC and donor financial management policies
· Security Monitor the security situation in the Karamoja Districts, and keep senior Kampala staff informed of developments with implications for staff safety and for program implementation
· Ensure all staff are aware of and in compliance with relevant IRC security procedures and protocols and that all new staff and visitors receive an appropriate security briefing
· Actively participate in the revision of the IRC Uganda Security Management Plan.
2. Representation / Communications
· Represent IRC in dealings with local District authorities (administrative, sectoral and security officials), UN agencies, fellow NGOs and other stakeholders and keep the head office abreast of these dealings
· Ensure coordination IRC program activities with relevant District officials, UN agencies and other humanitarian agencies
3. Program Management Grant management
· Ensure quality and timely implementation of all grants by program staff
· With support from the Kampala-based Grants Unit, oversee the development of detailed project work plans for all programs, and monitoring of project progress against these work plans
· Oversee preparation of donor reports by program staff, and edit reports for form and content prior to timely submission to the head office
· Budget Monitoring Oversee all budget expenditures in area of operation and ensure they are allowable and allocable according to IRC and donor regulations Review Monthly Budget vs. Actuals reports with program staff, make recommendations on the basis of these and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion
· New Program Development Identify new program possibilities in collaboration with field- and Kampala-based program staff based on identified needs, make recommendations to the Head office for development of new programs
· Oversee development of new proposals by program staff as required and edit drafts for form and content prior to submission to Kampala
· Monitoring & Evaluation With support from the appropriate technical coordinators, ensure appropriate M&E activities are carried out regularly by program staff in all sectors (data collection & analysis, monitoring of project progress against established work plans, monitoring of established indicators and utilization of results to inform program
4. Strategic Planning
· Oversee the integration into program activities of the IRC program framework Participate in workshops to establish and monitor annual operating plans for the strategic plan, and oversee implantation of the annual operating plans in Karamoja
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· A Master’s degree in Development Studies, International Relations or similar or relevant technical qualification or previous experience preferred;
· At least 3 years experience of implementing multi-sectoral humanitarian relief or development;
· Experience of working in emergency and post-conflict contexts;
· Excellent security management and inter-personal skills.
How to apply:
Send CV and cover letter clearly indicating the position applied for to: The Human Resource and Administration Manager, International Rescue Committee, P.O. Box 24672 Kampala; OR Email: UA-IRCJobs@Rescue.org Female and Ugandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Ugandan NGO Sector. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 01 Nov 2012