Job Title: Research Coordinator
Location: The position will be based in Entebbe but with occassional visits to the field stations in Kampala, Masaka and Kyamulibwa.
Start date: As soon as possible
About MRC / UVRI:
The MRC/UVRI Uganda Virus Research Unit on AIDS was established following a request in 1988 from the Uganda Government to the British Government for collaboration on the research of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency.
The Unit is a center of excellence in HIV/AIDS related research. It conducts large-scale epidemiological and intervention studies, clinical trials, virological and immunological research and behavioural studies, clinical trials, virological and immunological research and behavioural studies, and has generated a wealth of research results that have been used to inform policy and practice, and that have led to a large number of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals over time.
The Unit is based at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) in Entebbe and invites applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill positions of:
Job Summary: To work as an independent research coordinator in order to support all clinical and laboratory studies in the Unit: Ensuring correct and timely conduct of the studies according to approved protocols and ensuring regulatory and GCP / GCLP compliance.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
i. Understanding the objectives and design of studies carried out in the Unit
ii. Providing input into study design if required
iii. Support planning and implementation of Unit studies
iv. Maintain records on progress of studies within the Unit
v. Identify challenges in study implementation, suggesting corrective action where appropriate
vi. Coordinate appropriate and timely regulatory approvals of Unit studies
vii. Be responsible for maintaining regulatory documentation
viii. Ensure GCP/GCLP compliance of Unit studies and GCP & Human Subject Protection certification of study staff.
ix. Support and document external and internal monitoring activities of ongoing studies
x. Act as internal monitor for Unit studies when required
xi. Supervise follow up actions from monitoring activities
xii. Participate in site visits when required.
xiii. Collaborate and work in liaison with the communications and engagement officer on Unit research activities
· Bachelors Degree in bio-medical, Medical or related scientific research field
· Training in GCP and or GCLP and in Human Subjects Protection
· MBChB or equivalent
· MPH, MSc Clinical Trials or Epidemiology
· Clinical Research Associate certification
· Previous work experience required:
· Minimum 2 years post qualification research experience preferably in a leadership role in a GCP compliant study or GCLP accredited laboratory
· Experience in development of study protocols, Standard Operating Procedures, Study Operation and or Pharmacy or Laboratory operation manuals.
· Previous experience as a clinical study monitor
· Technical knowledge or skills:
· Knowledge of research design and research methodology
· Knowledge of international and local requirements for research involving human subjects
· Ability to understand individual tasks and role within the larger context of overall research program
· Resourceful self-starter who takes initiative and maintains a high standard of professional conduct
· Self-motivated with strong organizational skills and able to multi-task and work collaboratively and effectively in multi-programme/project, cross-functional teams.
· Able to take responsibility for completion of tasks with high quality according to established program timelines, identify problems and possible solutions and assess the impact on timelines.
· Strong communication skills and proven ability for effective communication verbally, in writing, and through email.
· Excellent computer skills with knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and email are required.
Terms and conditions:
Successful applicants will serve a 2 years contract with a possibility of renewal inclusive of 6 months probation.
Other terms and conditions for the post are specified in the MRC staff code. A good salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Applications including copies of academic qualifications, curriculum vitae and names plus telephone contact details of two (2) referees should either be addressed to:
The Human Resources & Administration Manager,
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS
P.O. Box 49, Entebbe
or send by email: email@example.com
Deadline: Friday, 2nd November, 2012
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://ugandanjobline.blogspot.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline