The Government of Uganda (GoU) represented by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) as the procurement entity and Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) as the entity in-charge of monitoring the project implementation, is embarking on a project to construct the Karuma Hydro Power Plant.
The plant will be located on the Victoria Nile, at the present location of the Karuma Falls. The site is located approximately 110 Kilometres by road, northeast of Masindi and approximately 70 kilometres, by road, south of Gulu a 4 hours drive from Kampala City on the Gulu Highway. The Karuma hydro power plant will be of 600MW capacity built underground outside the Murchison Falls National Park with a 9Km tail race tunnel running through the national park.
The Ministry through a Consultant carried out and completed the full feasibility study, ESI A and RAP as part of the first phase of the project. In the second phase, the same Consultant will perform supervisory services (Client’s Supervisor dealing with Project Construction).
The Government of Uganda is in the process of procuring an EPC contractor who is expected to commence the construction works early 2012 and another consultant will be separately engaged/ procured to implement the RAP exercise. The evacuation lines will be built under a separate contract managed by Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL) comprising of a 400KV Karuma -Kawanda transmission line and a 132 KV line from Karuma to Lira.
In order to effectively and efficiently implement the above project, The Government of Uganda intends to engage a Project Manager (PM) to provide management services in order to advise and assist The Government of Uganda, the owner of the Project and UEGCL, the implementing Agency, monitor the project implementation activities by both the Consultants and the Contractors and liaise with UETCL to ensure timely completion of the evacuation transmission lines.
PROJECT MANAGER FOR KARUMA HP EPC PROJECT (Re-Advertised)
- The PM shall monitor the Consultant’s and Contractors’ Management, Coordination and Control of Engineering and Construction of the Project and advise UEGCL, UETCL and Government on any required actions to ensure compliance with the agreed responsibilities / risk undertakings in accordance with the project implementation plan and budget.
- The different aspects of the project require a dedicated and routine reporting system to ensure proper implementation right from the start of the project to the end.
- It is against this background that, Government of Uganda intends to procure the services of a Project Manager to handle the implementation of Karuma Hydro Power Project and shall be fully based at the Karuma Project site.
Minimum Person Specifications:
- The applicants should have an engineering background with a BSc. (Hons) in any of the following fields: Civil Engineering and Construction Management, from a reputable and recognized University;
- A Masters Degree in the related field;
- Post Graduate qualification in Project Management and Monitoring.
- Proof of Membership to a professional body will be an added advantage.
- The applicants must have at least Ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in hydro power plants construction.
- The applicant must have managed a similar project of the same magnitude in size (at least 250MW) and cost (at least US$ 0.7 b) in the last ten (10) years. The applicant with this experience in a developing country will have an added advantage.
- Experience in tunneling is a prerequisite.
- The applicants should be between 40-60 years of age
How to apply:
All interested Consultants are requested to submit their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with full details of experience; Certificates; Referee Contacts; Personal contact; and physical addresses to the address below by 10 a.m. Wednesday, 29,th February 2012. Further information may be obtained from the same address during office hours (0900 to 170Clhours). Address for submission: The Permanent Secretary, Attn: Head, Procurement and Disposal Unit, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development Amber House, Room CI09, Kampala Road Tel: +256 414 349 276, Fax: +256 414 234732. F.A. Kabagambe-Kaliisa, PERMANENT SECRETARY